Calpurnia's Dream

Calpurnia's Dream
Available on Amazon.com

viernes, 24 de junio de 2016

CHAPTER XXXVI

XXXVI



It was a hot December day. That damp outdated weather, which sometimes catches us

by surprise at this time of the year, was creating quite a smothering atmosphere inside

Cornelia’s litter. She had come to fetch me in order to help her supervise the delivering

of what remained from Cleopatra’s historical visit, something that I initially thought

unnecessary, even anomalous. It drove me to guess what would later be fully revealed.

–Lady Calpurnia... Nothing could please me more than being the messenger of your

generosity to Subura...My native neighbourhood as well as your husband’s.

I then realized what was lying underneath it all. This silence that came later seemed to
have been designed to drive me to the decision I would subsequently make.
–Have you said that you want to come with me? Calpurnia... You know you are the wife
of...the future successor of the Tarquinii... I am sure you will have heard about that
work that your father’s great friend has written about the imminent convenience -Yes,
that’s the right word –of a certain kind of regime... not openly monarchic, but only
equivalent to it, so that it might be able to face the dramatic changes our good old
Rome has experienced in the last century.

–Yes. The Treaty on Good Kings according to Homer. No doubt Cornelia must have

told you about it. He had just published it when we went to Herculaneum.
–It’s no more than a masked way to acclaim your husband as that...ideal king. But
Philodemus is not the only one. Lucretius also hints at it in his book about the nature of
things. Therefore, you can’t turn a blind eye on what’s to happen in a near future....
–Never doubt about it, Kornel, as I am deeply realistic. The possibility of becoming a
Roman queen is always in my mind ... Anyway, I don’t think we should go on speaking
about this. I ‘m sure that, like most Romans, you can imagine what it means. Particularly,
after having witnessed HER flaunting this full fertility that I utterly lack....
For the first time since we first met he could clearly see the cloud in my eyes.
–Kornel...as, I can figure that out, my life may suddenly stop being that of New
Alexander’s privileged wife, it’s urgent for me to start having my feet on the ground ...
even if I remain here as his wife. In the same way as he knows both of these worlds,

patricians and vicini, if I am meant to become their queen, wouldn’t it be fitful that I

could meet all my...subjects?
Despite Kornel’s effort to hide it, in his light blue eyes i read some kind of strange
feeling, a mixture of tenderness and compassion.
–Calpurnia, Calpurnia... how amazing you can become... Are you really aware that you
will have to dress yourself as a slave, leave your sandals at home and wear some
rough stuff you are not used to and may ruin your feet. Besides, we’ll have to walk on
unpaved earth, risking to be pushed by the rabble into a poodle of dirt?

–Kornel, please... I know I am about to face something which will demand... how would
I call this... some sort of toughness. I am sure it is time I must start being put to the test.
And there we were, Kornel and I, dressed in coarse cotton, wearing extremely thick
footwear, suitable for endless walking and treading that unpaved ground of the streets

in Subura. I had been advised to wear thick cotton stockings to protect my feet and


also to conceal my patrician hairstyle with a mantle so as not be recognized by anyone.

Kornel advised us to leave the litter at a considerable distance from Subura and get


there on foot. Apart from the two of us, there were two reliable serfs of Cornelia’s, who

would deliver the food in order to prevent vicini from noticing our pale,


slender...patrician hands. We were climbing up that road leading to that area which my
father would have never allowed me not even to see at a safe distance. However, I
trusted Kornel’s protection. Yes, both Lucius Calpurnius and this man by my side were
right. That Roman pine-scented air which I already considered a part of myself seemed
to vanish as we were walking into that overwhelming mass of incredible buildings I was
watching with tearing heartache, surrounded by that deep sour smell I hadn’t perceived
 
ever before, coming from that crowd which, as it happens in the Forum on ludi days,

hurried around, shoving one another along those dirty earth streets on which
occasional stinking puddles seemed to sparkle in sunlight. I covered myself with the
mantle in order to protect myself from those insects which sprang up endlessly,

keeping my eyes on those terrible...domi? No, they were the insulae of which   you had                       
told me, maybe quite like that where you were born and raised... Fragile brick
structures with four, five... seven floors??!! ... Full of openings through which each
one’s privacy was exposed to everybody. Some kind of embarrassed shivering came
through my body.
–Are you feeling ill, Calpurnia? –Kornel’s alarmed voice whispered, trying to avoid that
anybody could hear my name. I violently shook my head. My eyes went around the
shops which could be discovered through the arcades on the ground floor of the

insulae, offering their merchandising to passers-by. Pottery, dying products, leather


tanners, bakeries whose fresh, healthy roasted smell would alleviate that choking air,

ready-made meals... We finally stopped at an entrance which led to a sort of atrium? in
which there was no compluvium and a lot of waste was heaped... I pressed my mantle
 
on my face.
–Hector!!!
Kornel’s voice sounded loud within that house. He walked ahead alone. A male voice
answered. It belonged to a man who could probably be Greek and whose physical
build and the humble simplicity of his clothes told quite a lot about his scarce

economical means. However, his educated voice and manners unveiled a person who
was far different from that primary, rude jostling crowd outside. I thought he might be

either a grammaticus or a magister.


-Hector, my dear Hector....
For the first time, Kornel showed his wiry hands to hold Hector’s neat ones.
–How many students have you had recently? I have always advised you to move into
Cumae...Or Pompeii, under Venus Felix’s protection. It’s a good omen... I know that
quite well. Its air is healthier, lodging is much cheaper and more decent.... and there
are even better professional perspectives. You know Pompeii has a Greek root which
Rome lacks. We achieved our cultural refinement thanks to the fact of conquering all
those Southern colonies. What else could you get here, instead? Nothing but living on
alms among criminals and indecent scheming people, with the constant danger of
seeing your house burn down or collapse when you least expect it, breathing
filth….One day will come when not even the inhabitants of Palatine Hill can stand living
here....
He slid a small clinking bag into the Greek’s hands.

–Let’s see if you can get by with this for a long time...I beg you, listen to what I’m
warning you about... Get away from Rome if you really want to really live instead of
contenting yourself with this poor survival.
He made a gesture to the servants, who laid some huge baskets onto the dusty floor.
–I want you to do this in the name of Lady Calpurnia, daughter to Lucius Calpurnius
Piso and wife to... the Dictator...
Hector’s expressive black eyes opened up, almost terrified.
–You must distribute all this food with common sense and equity, some qualities that I
know you can wisely combine. My serfs will come to deliver them themselves
 
whenever you find it fitful in order not to raise suspicions about you. Please, leave
Rome at once. If you don’t want to, do come to Cornelia Sulla’s house with my serfs. I
wouldn’t suffer you being exploited by undesiderable fellows...Listen to me, i pray you...
He warmly pressed Hector’s arm. Never before had I thought that Kornel could ever
show such a deep fondness...
–I will always see your grandfather’s image in you... Not only himself but also
everything he gave me, no matter how intangible it could be.
Hector blinked back tears, assenting. How on earth was he able to survive there? My
heart still felt shocked when, once back in the litter, that dear deep pine smell returned
to my nostrils.
–Hector, my little Hector...
Astonished, I saw that blue silvery shine turn into an almost imperceptible tear rolling
 
down his beautifully carved nose.

–....His grandfather was my magister and grammaticus. Thanks to him, I learnt Greek

and came in touch with playwrights...He made me find out that I love knowledge and
research. Despite their poverty, he and his descendants have always felt proud of
being free men...Gods...Calpurnia.... There will come a day... maybe in just one year or
even less...when Rome falls into the hands of freed former slaves who will imitate and
worsen our aristocracy’s lavishing customs and destroy all our heritage through their
ambition, whereas beautiful beings like Hector or his grandfather will be forced to
 
survive on giving lessons in the Forum or working as a slave-like grammatici at any
domus.
He dropped some deep silence that I wasn’t willing to break... Was this...the real
Kornel?
–No, his grandfather was no slave of ours. Neither could we afford it, as you can easily
imagine. When I used to live with my father and sister as a small boy, my economical
situation wasn’t better than young Hector’s. His grandfather was very fond of us and
pitied us for...not being able to afford some basic tuition due to our family’s disgrace.
His death was perhaps the only one I can remember mourning. Well, his.... and
someone else’s.....

The silence sprang back again, remaining until we returned to Cornelia’s domus, where


I changed my clothes. Why did I have that unusual strange sensation as soon as I felt

my delicate linen tunic and gauze palla on my exhausted boiling skin again, as well as


the thin straps of my sandals on my naked feet? Only a few hours had gone by since
that morning....
–I beg you excuse my behaviour, Calpurnia. It was just that brief contact with my native
neighbourhood, something that repels me, but, at the same time, moves me intensely.
The roots of my life were shaped there. In fact, I hate it for this reason. Whether I like it
or not, my heart is unavoidably bond to it. Perhaps it’s just my remorse for having

despised Subura profoundly. I spent most of my time thinking about how to get away


and leave al that behind forever as soon as possible... until I finally got it. I think your
 
husband may sometimes experience that sensation, too. However, when your family

owns a whole insula and you have been a flamen dialis since your adolescence.... it’s


not the same thing.
Cornelia listened to all this conversation while we were having quite an unusually early
dinner since we hadn’t eaten anything since sunrise.
–I can understand you may have been dazzled by the Egyptian queen’s mastery at
using her own voice. I remember telling you, Calpurnia, about that country which
collapsed under the sea and sheltered some kind of arcane wisdom which those who

survived that havoc took to Egypt. Perhaps Cleopatra might have got in contact with
present-day masters who have inherited this lore. One of its secrets is how to master
the life force contained in music and also in human voice, provided this is wisely
played, as skilfully as an instrument which would be simultaneously generated. One of
the main keys of that wisdom is the correspondence between different musical notes
and the diverse colours in which life manifests itself. Haven’t you noticed twilight
shades? She, like the initiated ones, must have been taught the ability to evoke that
relationship. Therefore, no wonder you have discovered those different shades in the
inflections of her voice. However, I don’t think she might be a black magic sorceress

who is attempting to obtain the favours of....the Dictator through sorcery or dealing with


old Egyptian deities. I simply believe that this masterful exploiting of her voice, her
sinister cat-like look and –why not?- her mind...I think the survival of the Alexandrian
Library is more meaningful for her than her own subjects’ lives. Nevertheless, I feel
that....
His grey and light blue eyes became transfigured, absent–like.
–.... some kind of strange fateful force is hanging over herself...and everyone related to


her person.
I couldn’t tell if what happened was because of Kornel’s voice, suddenly as icy and
strayed as his eyes, in the sudden remembrance of that.... experience? Absent from
my body, amidst some kind of day-dreaming... Your look, so similar to Kornel’s at that
moment, so startled after meeting such a familiar life force while you were lying there,
so absorbed by that other female energy...And that one which unmercifully poured out
of me, furious, destructive, addressed to `poison that womb which was sheltering you
at that moment....
–Calpurnia! You look like wax!
Efficient Cornelia did not hesitate to hand me some brewing of hot Falernian wine and
spices.
–Are you....?
I reluctantly smiled, shaking my head.
–It has just come back to my mind, what my husband told me about what Sulla had

once foretold. Maybe when he spared Caesar’s life... “Someone will be born of both of
our seeds who will be crucial for the benefit of millions of Roman citizens....” Do you

remember, Cornelia? Sulla hoped his grand-daughter, your Pompeia, would become
the queen of Rome...
–And who would dare saying it should happen through  Pompeia?
 
Kornel’s look had become the usual one. Intense, piercing, carving the most private

part of my being....
 
–I think, Calpurnia, you should know something that....he may tell you on his return
from Hispania... I’m sure your father must have already learnt about it... Helvia Cinna
has told me about it ....It seems that your husband is thinking about... passing a law

that allows him to... I think these were his exact words: “To marry as many women as


possible until he begets a male son”.
Cornelia had held me in her hands so as to prevent me from fainting. She was
watching me, trying to examine my reaction. Her warm but sad astonished eyes were
looking at my fixed unblinking gaze, my quiet, stone-like, almost lifeless expression... I
felt alarmed by my own serenity. Maybe was it due to the fact that all of my fears were
about to vanish away? Or perhaps was it because all of it might justify any further step I
should subsequently take and lay beyond my own awareness? Kornel’s look seemed
to be waiting for whatever thing could happen inside me in the next seconds....
–Calpurnia ... I am sure you have had news about the house where Cleopatra dwells
now. How it has turned into... what could I say?...some sort of social centre, one of the
most active circles in Rome, where she daily meets all kind of people who might be
suitable for her. Everyone from Palatine Hill has already gone there, many of whom
have even taken a good profit of this occasion to pray her to favourably intercede for
 
them to ...the Dictator. I have also been informed she acts quite like a queen, just the
same as in Alexandria and she must be pulling the strings so that, in the near future,
the....Roman court? may be settled in Alexandria. Calpurnia... Can you imagine what
will all this bring you, the fact of passing that law? Perhaps you may go on keeping the
same lifestyle ... except that you will lose all your chances to have a real spouse. Not
only this husband but any other as well. Have you ever thought what kind of humiliation
could this mean for you?
Cornelia’s voice was altered, even hardened. I could clearly see she was truly upset.
Her dumb begging eyes seemed to try to embrace me....
 
–What should I be supposed to do? Paying wages to murderers from Subura, as
Clodius used to do? Moreover, the queen’s domus is utterly guarded, as you know.
 
 
She was brought up among conspiracy and plotting, like her siblings. She must even
have her meals and drinks tasted by her serfs in order to avoid being poisoned. What’s
more, it is said that her own fertility has increased that of her land. It seems that the
water level of the Nile has grown as the queen’s pregnancy was going onwards...
Didn’t you tell me that yesterday, Cornelia? Plotting against someone who is gifted with
such a non-human force could turn out to be catastrophic.
–Calpurnia... All of this might be just a mere coincidence. On the other hand, murdering
 
hasn’t been mentioned. It would be quite an absurd thing to carry about...
–What must I do then. Kornel?
 
–Nobody has told you to make a decision regarding a well-defined life choice right now.
It is just something you should keep in mind in the future, when you are really urged to
choose. The truth is that your husband has been craving after Egypt since the early
years of his political career, hasn’t he, Cornelia? Remember all that story of that
Ptolemy’s will which eventually didn’t come true...Getting hold of a province whose
fertility is more than likely and not having to depend on Sicily for wheat supply may end
up with his self-insecurity.... Yes, do believe it, Calpurnia. Despite his hope for this
imminent royalty, he does not count on Roman people’s unanimous support. I don’t
know if you have heard about the mutinies that took place in Plasentia and Campania,
one of them involving the Tenth Legion.... His favourite one!!! The obvious reason that
triggered it all was the fact of not being punctually paid the amounts that they had been
initially promised. Notwithstanding this, one thing should be recognized in Caesar’s
favour: he strictly forbade ravishment in every town that had been conquered.
Nevertheless, this only increased discontentment among his soldiers. Just remember
when legionaries broke into Rome, searching for your husband. They even killed some
senators!!
–.... Fortunately, this happened when we were in Herculaneum. This may have been
 
the reason why my father insisted on our leaving Rome. Perhaps he had already
imagined what would happen to us. Anyway, at least they respected Vestals’ House.
Kornel caught his breath. His eyes were fixed on something.
–I cannot say how deeply your husband ...fears his own troops. I’m well informed about
Ptapsos battle, that which was decisive for the survival of Pompeius’ followers in Africa.
It turned into a horrible slaughter that Caesar was unable to control. Part from this, here
in Rome, just after those celebration and feasts we’ve recently had, groups of soldiers
protested against the same old story. The Dictator cut it all up by executing some of his
legionaries. As for civilians...What can I say? About one hundred fifty or eighty
thousand have been deprived of the subsidiary payment that the Republic had allowed
them so as they could survive. Perchance do you share you husband’s views, that they
will willingly migrate to other regions and, thus, to relieve overpopulation in Rome? How
stunningly naïve Caesar turns out to be! That would mean an unaffordable effort to
adapt and also extremely hard work to guarantee their daily living, something that has
become utterly alien to their own nature. Can you imagine all this crowd of parasites
you’ve first seen today settling down in small plots, labouring the earth, facing extreme
heat, cold and merciless rain, aware that their harvests may suddenly be ruined, feeling
hopeless to avoid something that goes beyond their own capacity? Rome is facing
something more dangerous than unsatisfied legions, a terrible mass of beggars
hanging around the corners of the city, ready to kill for just a small fee... I can’t
 
understand why your husband hasn’t taken this into account.... what might have led
him to make such a foolish mistake....
–If , as it was previously promised, he still plans to take charge of a given number of
rents, I’m sure he will have to make a selection in order to carry it all out.
–That’s what may become his downfall, Cornelia. The old opportunistic story of
resorting to apparently popular means...Perhaps he will try to palliate this by increasing
the individual amounts of wheat he once promised as well as paying four hundred
sextertii to each one. Who knows if the key for this is in Egypt....By the way, how has
your father reacted at the destruction of the Library?
–It has been worse for Philodemus .... He’s totally abashed.... no wonder my husband
has lost a supporter. Anyway, there’s still Philippus among the Epicureans.
–.... Stepfather to that worrying young boy, so like his grand-uncle.... Except that he is
so incredibly frail and weak...Nevertheless, his mind is so abnormally developed for his
age, as I have been told. Your husband is bound to trust him too much when he
becomes a grown up, in spite of all...
As in so many other occasions, Kornel was looking far beyond us, at something that
seemed to transcend the world around..
–....Unlike Caesar, I think he is very prone to get infatuated by one woman, who would
be able to take all the necessary profit of that in order to defend her interests... though
 
it meant a high risk for Rome’s future development.. Calpurnia, your husband may be a
big... womanizer?, but never, never , I’m convinced of it, able to let himself be fooled by
any woman –not even by Cleopatra –if it touches his own convenience... or Rome’s.
Despite the fact she’s the one who pulls the strings here and now, he will only marry
her as long as he’s interested in owning Egypt and being worshipped as it befits...his
divine origin.
–I can’t stop wondering... Why all this interest in a law which consents on his
bigamy...or polygamy? It would be so much simpler to divorce me. Perhaps, deep
down inside him, he is not willing to make me lose my social position or break away
from my usual life. Who knows if he eventually does it out of consideration...He knows
that it that law is passed, it will happen as in Eastern countries: though I may not be his
favourite wife, at least I won’t have to bear the stigma of being repudiated. Yes,
somehow he still loves me...
I saw Kornel’s transparent eyes express the same hurt tenderness as Cornelia’s.
 
 




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario